Here is an example of how much extra data we are talking about. Downloading all fields for 1,000 Accounts with minimal field population.
~1,913,890 X 20 = ~38.2 Megabytes of data
Elapsed time ~52 seconds
Here the request is limited by adjusting the OData query to 2 fields for the same 1,000 Accounts
~38,710 X 20 = 7.7 Megabytes
Elapsed time ~10 seconds
Needless to say this is considerably faster because of all the data we aren't downloading.
- Download and install the CRM REST Builder managed solution
- Open the solution and it should bring you to a page where you can design your query
- Select Retrieve Multiple
- Choose the entity and fields you need to work with (can include related entities
- Optionally apply filtering and ordering (should be self explanatory)
- Select Create Request
- Select Url
- Copy the generated Url
- In Power Query choose Dynamics CRM or OData Feed and use the generated Url instead of the generic CRM /OrganizationData.svc
- Enjoy downloading only the data you need!